Let MindShare Bring IO Virtualization to Life for You
Virtualization is one of the hot, exciting areas in the PC industry today, generating significant revenue, and solving critical problems in the PC data center. However, software virtualization techniques add too much overhead to allow virtualization to be used for some applications. This class will look at those problem applications and the hardware solutions defined by the PCI SIG.
MindShare Courses On IO Virtualization:
All of MindShare's classroom and virtual classroom courses can be customized to fit the needs of your group.
Comprehensive IO Virtualization Course Info
You Will Learn:
- What virtualization is, and the revenue generating uses for virtualization.
- The major sources of overhead with the virtualization techniques in use today.
- How I/O virtualization will use the new hardware assists, to solve these problems.
Course Length: 2 days
The MindShare PC Virtualization class lasts for 4 days, going into detail of virtualization for the processor, for memory, and for I/O devices. This IOV class concentrates on just the I/O virtualization topics, focusing in particular on the new hardware enhancements for IOV from the PCI SIG.
Who Should Attend?
This class targets hardware and software engineers who desire to understand the full picture of how the new IOV hardware is to be used, and the software needed to drive that hardware.
- Introduction to virtualization
- Explanation of what virtualization is, with a demonstration
- Virtualization theory, trap and emulate
- Software techniques for I/O Virtualization
- Current software techniques, the advantages of them, and the issues
- Network virtualization, implemented in software, as an example
- The problems and advantages of software I/O virtualization
- Hardware for I/O Virtualization
- Memory management for guest operating systems
- PCI Express enhancements – ATS
- Intel's VT-d implementation of ATS
- AMD's IOMMU implementation of ATS
- PCI Express single root virtualization (SR-IOV)
- PCI Express multi-root virtualization (MR-IOV)
- Issues and potential software solutions
A solid background in PC architecture will assist the students in understanding the material. We cannot understand how to virtualize a particular function unless we understand that function! Each section will include a brief review of the appropriate PC architecture to help fill in any holes in the students’ background knowledge, but this class is not intended to be a complete PC architecture class.
MindShare will supply an electronic version of the presentation slides.