You Will Learn:
- PCI Express features and capabilities
- The definition and responsibilities of each of the layers in the interface
- The PCIe packet-based transaction protocol details
- The error detection, reporting and possible correction mechanisms
- The address space and packet-routing methods used
- How the various power management techniques work
- The details of the configuration registers that provide control and status visibility to software
- Software enumeration process
- The process of transmitter equalization necessary to operate at 8.0GT/s, 16.0GT/s and 32.0GT/s
- The details of the LTSSM including the concepts important for each state
- PAM4 signaling
- Flit Mode behavior
For SRIOV and ATS related topics, which are now incorporated into the PCIe base spec, please request our 3-day IO Virtualization for Intel Platforms or IO Virtualization for ARM Platforms as these topics are NOT covered in this standard 5-day PCIe course. PIPE 6.0 spec related topics are also not covered but can be requested. We cover ECNs listed below upon request.
Who Should Attend?
This course is hardware-oriented, but is suitable for both hardware and software engineers because the configuration registers used to control the hardware are covered in detail. The course is ideal for RTL-, chip-, system- or system board-level design engineers who need a broad understanding of PCI Express. Given the in-depth architecture and design details covered, the course is also suitable for chip-level and board-level validation engineers.
Course Length: 5 days (but can be customized to shorter duration)
A basic understanding of digital bus architectures such as PCI is recommended.
1) MindShare will supply a copy of the "PCI Express Technology" eBook (covers PCIe 3.0) or hardcopy book on request
MindShare’s PCI Express Technology
textbook (PCIe 3.0)
Authors: Mike Jackson and Ravi Budruk
Publisher: MindShare Press
Available through the MindShare Store
and major bookstore outlets.
2) Downloadable PDF version of the presentation slides
3) Fundamentals of PCI Express (needed for pre-work before class)
4) Add-on Comprehensive PCI Express 5.0 eLearning course (discounted pricing applies)
5) Add-on PCI Express 6.0 Update eLearning Coruse (when released; discounted pricing applies)
3) Add-on MindShare Arbor software tool, used for student labs in the class (discounted pricing applies)